/ Educator FAQ
Educator Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements for becoming A Certified Gottman Educator?
- What are the requirements for becoming a Certified Gottman Educator?
- What can a Certified Gottman Educator do with their certification?
- Are there any limitations to what I can do with my Certified Gottman Educator certification?
- What are the requirements for maintaining the CGE status?
- How can potential couples know that I am certified by The Gottman Institute?
- What are the Evaluation Tools Used in the Certification Training?
- What if I come to the training, but I cannot stay to complete the exam?
In order to successfully become a Certified Gottman Educator, an individual must:
What can a Certified Gottman Educator do with their certification?
- Hold a Bachelors degree, professional degree or license from an accredited institution (the Program Director reserves the right to waive this criteria at her discretion based upon the candidate’s past professional experience and education).
- Attend the three day Bringing Baby Home Certified Gottman Educator Training Program.
- Complete the Certified Gottman Educator Certification Exam with a passing score of 70 percent or better.
- Complete the Day One Quiz with a passing score of 80 percent of better.
- Achieve satisfactory scores on all “teachback” opportunities within the Certification Training Program.
The Certified Gottman Educator Certificate authorizes an instructor / facilitator to:
Are there any limitations to what I can do with my Certified Gottman Educator certification?
- Independently teach and facilitate the 12 hour Bringing Baby Home Couples Workshop.
- Independently teach and facilitate multiple authorized Sections of the Bringing Baby Home Couples Workshop.
- Use the CGE title and distinction.
Yes, As a Certified Gottman Educator, it is not acceptable to:
What are the requirements for maintaining the CGE status?
- Present oneself as an employee, agent or other representative of the Bringing Baby Home Program, the Relationship Research Institute or The Gottman Institute. Exceptions to this are made for those hired as Master Trainers or Consultants to the BBH Program.
- Present oneself as a Certified Gottman Couple’s Therapist or to market / publicize the BBH workshop as Gottman Couples Therapy. This distinction requires a separate “licensure” program. Information about this opportunity can be obtained at www.gottman.com. (Please Note: if you have already obtained this distinction, then it is encouraged and appropriate to use both sets of letters and distinctions).
- Present oneself as a couple’s therapist or market / publicize the BBH workshop as couple’s therapy. This distinction requires licensure from an accredited school, program or organization.
- Offer independent training or licensure on behalf of the Bringing Baby Home program. For more information on how to become an approved, recognized BBH Training Specialist, please contact TGI at 206-523-9042, ext.108.
- Offer or present BBH training workshops for other professionals (unless said professionals attend as couples experiencing the transition to parenthood).
- Offer or present formal seminars or presentations on Bringing Baby Home to academic audiences.
- Please Note: It is permissible and encouraged for Certified Gottman Educators to give informational seminars or informal talks in the community as a means of marketing or publicizing the workshops.
Recertification is granted to those who maintain a favorable status with The Gottman Institute, as evidenced by:
- Payment of the recertification $35 fee, and
- The maintenance of professional standards of conduct as defined by the Gottman Institute.
The benefits of maintaining credentials are:
How can potential couples know that I am certified by The Gottman Institute?
- A website posting of their name and program.
- A semi annual newsletter of program updates.
- Advanced notice of products and materials and information from The Gottman Institute.
What are the Evaluation Tools Used in the Certification Training?
- Website Posting: Once certified, the Certified Gottman Educator’s Name, Name of Organization, city and state of residence will be posted in the Directory of Certified Gottman Educators on the BBH website. This will allow couples to know that they are taking the workshop from a licensed, reputable instructor. It is requested that CGE’s keep The Gottman Institute informed of any address or program changes.
- Confirming Status: The TGI staff would be glad to provide documentation or verbal confirmation of any Active Certified Gottman Educator’s status. Please have interested parties contact us via phone 206-523-9042, ext.108 or online.
What if I come to the training, but I cannot complete the exam?
- Day One Quiz: An open book quiz completed independently using only the Certification Training manual and any notes made during the training. A passing score has been established that will be applied uniformly to all participants. A passing score is 80%.
- Teachbacks: On each day of the Certification Training, participants will present “teachbacks” or “mini-lessons” on key concepts and skills from the workshop in small groups. Within your group, you will have 2 roles. First, you will be responsible for preparing a mini-lesson assigned to you and effectively presenting the material to your group. Second, you will be responsible for honestly evaluating the teachbacks presented by your peers. You will be observed by your peers during each of your teachbacks. Observers will be asked to complete an evaluation and give both a written description of feedback and a rating score. Possible ratings are Unsatisfactory, Satisfactory and Exceptional. Each of these ratings is equal to a numerical value. All of your scores are added together and an average score is created. A perfect teachback score is 3.00. A passing score is 2.00.
- Certification Exam: Access to the online final certification exam is given following the conclusion of the training and will close after one week. It takes approximately two hours to complete. The test is a combination of multiple choice, matching, true/false, fill-in-the-blank and brief-write questions. A 70% score is required for passing.
Should unforeseen personal or medical circumstances arise which prevent a participant from completing the exam, the Program or Education Director will be available for direction/guidance. However, if the Certification Exam is not completed due to travel needs or personal scheduling conflicts, Certified Gottman Educator status will not be granted. The Bringing Baby Home Program reserves the right to determine if exceptions and/or accommodations are appropriate on a case-by-case basis.
Once I take the training, how will I know if I am Certified?
You will be notified about your Certification Status within forty-five days of completing the certification training. You can expect to receive, by U.S. mail, the following: Day 1 Quiz Score, Teachback Score Average, Certification Exam Scores.